Where are the Yo-Kai Watch fans?

Discussion in 'General' started by shandyray, Sep 19, 2016.

1. shandyray

shandyray
    Expand Collapse

I knew about Yo-Kai Watch when it was first released in Japan. The reason I knew about it was because there was an article stating that it sold more copies than Pokemon X and Y. I thought this was very interesting. I was at a game store in midtown Manhattan called J and L Game Traders, and the guy who worked there said they probably won't release the game in the United States. This was not true because the game was released in 2015. I liked the game from the moment I picked it up. As a Pokemon fan since day one, I'd rather play Yo-Kai watch because it does not take itself too serious. I have a few friends that play 3DS and none of them like Yo-Kai Watch, they all said it is too much like Pokemon. I totally disagree with this. I asked a few people from the college I attend, Hunter College in New York if they like Yo-Kai Watch, all of them said no. Some of them said it was too much like Pokemon. So, my question is who are the Yo-Kai Wath fans? I have not met any yet. Yo-Kai Watch is not that big outside of Japan, and what kills me is that too many people say it is a rip off of Pokemon, when it clearly isn't. They are coming out with the sequel, and I can't wait. They have a Fathom Event for the movie, I got the tickets already. I can call myself a true fan. The only thing is I never met any others who like Yo-Kai Watch.

2. SuperKirby

SuperKirby
    Expand Collapse

I've gotten into Yo-kai Watch since I started playing the first game, and I struggle to find more fans of the games myself. At the college I currently attend, VERY few (if any) people play Yo-kai Watch. You and I are in the same boat...

3. shandyray

shandyray
    Expand Collapse

Here's the thing, the merchandise is selling out. I collect the little figures that come with the medals. I went to a few stores and most of the toys and accessories are usually sold out. I went to Target and all they had were a few watches and an empty shelf where the medals and toys were. I went to a local GameStop, they had two figures both were Tattletell. I asked the associate if they were going to have any more he said later in the week they were expecting a shipment. He said that the figures sell out fast. My guess is that kids or other people buy them because they look cool, but have no idea what they are buying. I head the two associates at GameStop admit they know nothing about Yo-Kai Watch and tell the parents "it's kind of like Pokemon". It's interesting to see how Yo-Kai Watch is selling out, but not as well known or as hyped as it should be. In Japan they are going crazy for anything with Yo-Kai in it, even doing that stupid dance from the end credits. I guess we shall see what happens over time. They are coming it with Yo-Kai Watch 2 on September 30th. I can't wait, but will it sell out? On the contrary, Pokemon Sun and Moon will definitely sell out. I reserved for the two versions of the game as well as the limited edition 3DS. Those things are selling out fast! Yo-Kai on the other hand is not. Yo-Kai will continue to do well in Japan and it is the only franchise I can think of that gave Pokemon any competition at least in Japan anyway. Think about it. Remember all the other franchises that were compared to Pokemon? Digimon, Monster Rancher, YugiOh, just to name a few. None of those shows outsold Pokemon in Japan. Yo-Kai Watch did. That gives Yo-Kai Watch some real credibility as a marketable franchise, and it is the reason Nintendo is backimg this brand so confidently. They see the potential this series has. Maybe if Yo-Kai Watch came out in the 90's Pokemon would have had a different future, or maybe not we will never know. What I do know is that Yo-Kai Watch is something new and it is very entertaining and I will continue to play it. I am just fascinated to know who else is into this new series.

4. Komasan

Komasan
    Expand Collapse

It seems to be picking up in popularity but not as much as I though it would by now. Like most people I know who enjoy other games and anime like Pokemon don't even know about it. I guess it is being shadowed. I expect it to only get more popular as time goes on. I am a fan and plan on sticking around!